The College Library initially started in 1999 in a temporary building and later shifted to present permanent library building in the year 2004. In furtherance of the legacy of former President of India late Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, Bengtol College has developed a Knowledge Centre in its campus and has named it “Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Central Library”, a befitting tribute to Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, Scientist, science administrator, Missile Man of India, “People’s President,” and Bharat Ratna, the greatest human being of our time. Late Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam coined a term “Providing Urban Amenities in Rural Areas” (PURA), which is now essence of the India’s inclusive growth strategies and as a building block for inclusive knowledge societies in India. PURA supplements several social missions such as ‘Information for All’, ‘Education for All’, ‘Health for All’, ‘Every Village a Library / Knowledge Centre’, ‘No School without a Library’.
The Library is housed in a state of art building spread across 815.81 Sq. Meter (Ground floor + First Floor) with future plane to extend till third floor. The library remains open from 9.30 A.M. to 5.30 P.M. on all working days. Collection of the Library as on 25th May, 2018 is 11,901 mainly in Social Science, Science, Humanities and Management. The library has good collection of textbooks, reference books, journals, popular journals, current periodicals, back volumes (Journals), Newsletters, Question Bank, newspapers and magazines etc. BSNL Broadband wifi connection is available to access internet resources in College Central library. Bengtol College Central Library provides access to N-LIST (National Library & Information Services Infrastructure for Scholarly Content) e-resources to the teachers and students of the College provided by INFLIBNET (Information and Library Network) of the UGC (University Grants Commission). Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Central library is an open access system with spacious reading area providing an atmosphere conducive to readers. Library is fully automated with the installation of SOUL 2.0 Software and Digital Library Management System software RFID (Radio Frequency Identification) Technology. Central Library is equipped with the Digital Library to cater the needs of digital resources both online and offline. In view of changing scenario of education system it is planned to improve the infrastructure of the Library every year.
The mission of the Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Central library is to provide the Bengtol College community with access to rich and relevant information resources to support their research, teaching and learning activities to foster the intellectual growth.
The library provides access to academic curricular information to users of Bengtol College in a networked environment by Creating Digital Content in the field of Arts, Science and Management.
– To create an environment for more productive teaching–learning process by providing a highly interactive electronic network giving access to e-resources through digital library.
– Maximize our staff capability and potential to enable them to provide effective, responsive and innovative services
– Utilize library and information technology innovatively and appropriately
– Develop and maintain effective and efficient infrastructure to provide and deliver information services to the user community
– Create an informative environment that supports and encourages excellence in research in the field of Humanities, Science, and Management.
– Promote the standing and good reputation of the college through excellence in library services, collaboration with other organizations and enhance staff contribution to the community.
Library Collections :
|1.||Total Number of Books (Print) including reference books.||11901|
|2.||Total Number of e- resources (Electronic Books)||80409|
|3.||Total Number of Journals /Periodicals (Print)||23|
|5.||Total Number of Electronic Journals and Bibliographic Database||3828|
|7.||MPhil/Ph.D (Hard Copy)||1|
|8.||Students Project (Hard Copy)||32|
|Total Number of Newspapers||11|
|9.||Total Number of Back Volume (Print)||930|
|10.||Total Number of Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Special Book Collection||50|
|11.||Total Number of Question Bank of a ll subjects and semesters||Since from 2006 – 2017|
- Wi-Fi Facility
- Digital Library
- Automated Library services
- Book Bank
- Bound Volume of Journals & Current Periodicals
- Dictionaries and Atlas
- Newspaper Clipping
- 11.N-LIST e- resources (UGC-INFLIBNET)
- Online Public Access Catalogue (OPAC)
- Question Bank
- Reading Hall (Ground and First floor)
- Reference books
- Ready Reference service
- Reprographic Services
- Conference Hall cum Teacher reading hall
- Current Awareness service
- Inter Library Loan
- Equal Access to Information to students with disabilities
List of Journals and Periodicals
- Annals of Library and Information Science
- Research Journal of the Department of Bodo, Bodoland University
- Indian Journal of Teacher Education
- Arthshastra Indian Journal of Economics & Research
- The Indian Journal of Political science
- Journal of Indian council of Philosophical research
- Research Journal of English Language and Literature (RJELAL)
- The week
- Sports Star
- Junior Science Refresher
- The Competition Success review
- Career 360
- Science Reporter
- North East Today
- Eastern Panorama
- Manorama Tell me why
- University News
- Economic & Political Weekly
Library Rules and Regulation
- Admission to the Library is restricted to members, but others who are desirous in consulting the resources of the Library may do so with the permission of the Librarian or in his absence, of the College Principal. Permission can be refused without assigning any reasons. Non members have to pay necessary fees for referring as decided by the Library Advisory Committee from time to time.
- Application for membership is to be made on the prescribed from obtained from the Library. Application of Students and faculty members of the College shall be recommended by the respective Heads of the Department and of other categories shall be recommended by the College Principal.
- One color passport size photograph (affixed on the membership application and duly attested by the respective authorities) and soft copy of the color passport size photograph in JPEG format in a CD. (Pen drive is strictly prohibited)
- The users should enter their membership number, name and the entry time in the gate register while they enter inside the library. Similarly, when they leave the library the leaving time should be entered in the gate register.
- Personal belongings are not allowed inside the Library except Laptop, Note book and Pen.
- Students without Proper College Uniform are not allowed to access the Library.
- Mobile Phone should be switched off or in silent mode.
- Complete Silent should be maintained inside the Library.
- College /Library Identity Smart Card are compulsory for issuing Books from the Library.
- Students and Staffs are not allowed to issue books on others Card, Proxy is strictly prohibited.
- Books should be handled with care. Users should not deface, mark, cut or try to mutilate on books and RFID book label, which is objectionable and may lead to cancellation of membership privilege and will be charged double the amount of the property.
- Books removed from the shelves should be left on the nearest table and the same will be shelved by the Library Staff. Do not try to shelved yourself.
- No due Library clearance is must for students before every Semester examination.
- Beverages, eatables, smoking and pet animals are not allowed inside the library.
- Taking Photograph and Video inside the Library is prohibited.
- Library Working Hours
|Monday-Saturday||9.30 AM-5.30 PM|
|Sunday and Holidays||Closed|
- Loan Criteria/Borrowing entitlements
|Academic Faculties||5||30 Days|
|Administrative Staffs||3||15 Days|
|Major Course Students||4||15 Days|
|General Course Students||3||15 Days|
- Overdue Charges
|No. of Days Overdue Charges Per Book beyond the due date.|
|1 st to 6th day||Rs. 1.00 Per Day|
|7 th to 13th Day||Rs. 5.00 Per Day|
|14th to 30th Day||Rs. 7.00 Per Day|
|31st onwards||Rs. 10.00 Per day|
- Books on loan can be recalled at any time irrespective of the period of the loan at the discretion of Librarian.
- Bound Volume, Reference books, loose issues of periodicals, CD-ROMs, Question Bank are not issued on loan.
- Before leaving the Circulation Desk/ counter the members must satisfy themselves as to whether the books lent to them are in good condition and if not, immediately matter is brought to library staffs on duty at the Circulation Desk/counter. Otherwise they shall be held responsible for any damage discovered afterward.
- Loss of books on loan should be immediately reported to the Librarian. Members are liable to replace such books or pay three times cost of the book. The members are liable to pay the overdue charges as admissible, in addition to the cost of the book upto the date on which the loss was reported even after the lost book is found later.
- Photocopying of Library books and journals may be carried out within the Copyright regulations. Members can utilise the photocopying facility provided inside the library on payment of Rs. 2.00 per page.
- Special care should be taken to see that the RFID Smart card Library Identity Card is not misplaced or lost. In case of loss of Identity Card, it should be reported to the Librarian immediately in writing to apply for duplicate Identity Card or loss of clearance certificate by paying Rs. 200.00.
- One Computer is provided in front of the Circulation Desk to check the member details. After each transaction, the members are advice to check OPAC to ensure the transaction.
- Head of the Departments / UDA of the College Office shall require the students to produce a clearance certificate from the College Central Library to effect that they have returned all books and cleared all dues, before they admitted to the final semester examination or are issued Mark sheet, whichever is earlier.